We're looking for a talented Senior VFX Artist to join our team, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to veterans with 15+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building player-focused, community-powered games.
At Hypixel Studios we are looking for applicants that are demonstrably passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
As a Sr. VFX Artist on the Hytale team, you will report to the Art Director while collaborating across disciplines to design and deliver dynamic effects that bring our experiences to life. You will also use your experience to mentor other artists, improve workflows, and empower our creators to push the limits of their creativity.
Who you are:
- You understand and can articulate sleek, dynamic, and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth while giving our players a deeper connection to gameplay
- You are a problem solver, driven to discover unique solutions that benefit our players, creators, and team
- You are an excellent communicator: you love providing feedback, sharing knowledge and mentoring other team members
- You’re a positive, proactive problem-solver and help lead by example while contributing to the studio culture with the actions you take on the team
Some of your Role:
- Work with the Art Director to develop a stunning visual effects language that immerses our players and brings our experiences to life
- Create VFX assets, from the concept stage through integration in-game using our in-house engine
- Work closely with Design, Art, and other creative disciplines to ensure VFX and art support our diverse game experiences
- Partner with production to develop high-level execution plans
- Find creative solutions to eliminate difficult problems in production and drive agreement on improvements to pipelines, processes and techniques
- Mentor VFX artists in their craft, delivering feedback to aid in their growth
- Provide artistic and technical direction to Creators and external partners
- Contribute to the creation of performance targets and drive to optimize VFX across platforms
- 5+ years of experience creating real-time visual effects for games, with at least one shipped title as a key contributor for VFX
- Proven record of overseeing the work of other team members and mentoring and developing junior staff
- Ability to work in a cartoon style, creating hand-drawn 2D flipbooks and textures
- Strong understanding of technical considerations for VFX
- Expert knowledge of industry standard software (Blender/Max/Maya etc, Houdini, Substance Designer etc.), as well as experience working with real-time particle and VFX editors with a high capacity to learn new tools
- Effective collaboration skills across disciplines
- Great communication and self-organization skills
- Excellent problem solving skills; you take complex problem spaces and break them down into functional and actionable solutions
- Great portfolio demonstrating your particle and VFX work in a broad range of art styles in both 2D and 3D mediums.
- Experience shipping titles across multiple platforms (PC/Console/Mobile)
- Traditional art skills - Illustration, Sculpture, Painting and Anatomy
- Experience in 3D Modeling, Sculpting, Texturing, Animation
- Good understanding of shader creation is a big plus
- Knowledge in Technical Art and 3D rendering principles
We can offer:
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team.
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally.
- A stable and secure work environment.
- The ability to work remotely.