We are looking for technical designers to join our team, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to veterans with 15+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
At Hypixel Studios we are looking for applicants that are demonstrably passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
As a member of the technical design team you will be responsible for taking design and turning it into gameplay using our scripting and game editing tools. You will be the first customer of our extensive modding framework, using that framework itself to build the game while driving improvements to it.
You will also have a hand in the design and initial versions of gameplay and systems, from concept to prototype whilst working in collaboration with the rest of design and engineering.
Who you are:
- You’re an engineer with strong design skills, who understands the needs of designers and can translate between design and engineering...or you’re a designer with strong technical skills, a love of tools, and a good understanding of engineering requirements.
- You enjoy solving technical problems, building new development tools, and are unafraid of diving into complex aspects of game development.
- You thrive when learning, building, and teaching. Helping solve a difficult problem and then using that knowledge to help the team or pipeline is highly rewarding.
- You are an excellent communicator. You love to give feedback on work in progress, and you love to teach your co-workers and the community new work methods and efficiencies.
- You are literate in game design fundamentals. You enjoy spinning up conversations about what makes a game fun while trying to understand how each component contributes to the whole.
- You can successfully manage relationships with other teams and help them get the most out of working with Technical Design.
Some of your role:
- Sit between design and engineering to set requirements for tools and systems and ensure that they are fit for purpose
- Implement gameplay using in-engine scripting tools or programming languages
- Bring NPCs to life using the modular behaviour system and JSON format scripting tools
- Champion the creator and make sure that tools and systems are as easy to use as possible
- Be a store for the knowledge that our community will need to create content, and share that with them through tutorials and documentation
- Minimum 1 year of experience with Java and/or C# or a scripting language.
- Proficient in both written and verbal communication with technical and non-technical individuals.
- Experience using tools and scripts to achieve gameplay effects.
- Understanding of Software Engineering principles.
- Self-motivated and able to break down complex tasks.
- Passionate about games and gaming.
We can offer:
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team.
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally.
- A stable and secure work environment.
- The ability to work remotely.