We are looking for an AI/NPC Engineer to join our team, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to veterans with 15+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
At Hypixel Studios we are looking for applicants that are demonstrably passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
As a member of the Engine initiative you will bring the NPCs in Hytale alive using our own modular behaviour scripting system. You will be continuously communicating with other engineers, production and design to meet expected results.
Who you are:
- Passionate about crafting immersive NPC experiences.
- Display willingness to learn and develop your skills.
- Self driven and able to work independently.
- Analytical thinker with good attention to detail.
- Able to persevere in the face of finding difficult solutions.
Some of your role:
- You will focus on developing and maintaining our library of modular scripting components in JSON to assist tech designers in building complex and creative NPCs.
- If required you will write Java components extending the capabilities of our modular behaviour scripting system.
- You will act as a point of contact for tech designers to help solve issues and answer questions relating to the NPC behaviour systems.
- You will work with designers and translate collective ideas into behaviour functionality.
- 2+ years of experience with Java.
- Solid understanding of vector maths and game engines.
- Solid debugging and optimisation skills in Java.
- Able to break down complex tasks into small actionable iterations.
- Proficient in both written and verbal communication with technical and non-technical individuals.
- Team-oriented, self-motivated, and autonomous.
- Passionate about games and gaming.
- Familiarity with game AI.
- Experience with Entity Component Systems.
- Experience with Scratch or similar applications.
- Familiar with C#.
- Modding and other game development experience.
- Knowledge of utility systems and behaviour trees.
We can offer:
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team.
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally.
- A stable and secure work environment.
- The ability to work remotely.