We are looking for game designers to join our team, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to veterans with 15+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
At Hypixel Studios we are looking for diverse applicants that are passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
As a member of the game design team you will be responsible for exploring how to best push the boundaries of that experience in order to build new and engaging moments for players. You will design and deliver competitive features around Combat, Progression, Player Ranking, and Matchmaking. You would report to the lead designer on the competitive team.
Who you are:
- You’re a designer who thrives while realizing the vision of the game through content and systems that continually surprise and delight the player
- You balance your unique perspective with a deep understanding of the motivations of competitive players
- You are self-motivated, yet collaborative. A self-starter who can align with the team's goals but isn't hesitant to create solutions on their own
- You are literate in game design fundamentals. You enjoy spinning up conversations about what makes a game fun while trying to understand how each component contributes to the whole
Some of your role:
- Work closely with design leadership to design and balance compelling combat experiences, with a particular focus on PvP
- Design new and innovative competitive and cooperative multiplayer game modes
- Develop competitive systems that motivate and reward players across sessions
- Collaborate with Tech, Art, Animation, and Audio to deliver world class multiplayer gameplay
- Communicate your designs clearly to the team through design docs, user stories, wireframes, pictures of napkin sketches, etc.
- Develop a deep understanding of our diverse playerbase and their various needs and desires
- Use research and player feedback to validate that your designs are meeting the project’s goals
- 2+ years of experience in professional game design on multiplayer titles
- Experience with designing combat content and systems, as well as multiplayer game modes
- Proficiency with goal-oriented design processes - able to balance product goals with design decisions
- Strong collaboration skills. Ability to work with other designers, engineers, production, narrative and art to provide the best holistic solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Can communicate the details of complex design structures and partner with multidisciplinary team members to deliver those elements to players
- Worked on at least one live, AAA online competitive game
- Experience with continuously releasing new content and features to live players over time
- Experience designing and balancing matchmaking and ranking systems
- Deep level of understanding and engagement with online competitive games across many different genres
- Familiarity with block style games
We can offer:
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally
- A stable and secure work environment
- The ability to work remotely