We are looking for a Senior Gameplay Engineer to join our team, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to veterans with 15+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
At Hypixel Studios we are looking for applicants that are demonstrably passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
As a member of the engineering team you will be responsible for designing and building the gameplay systems that drive our content creation. You will support and be supported by a team of technical designers who take design and turn it into gameplay using our scripting and game editing tools. You will be the first customer of our game engine, using that engine itself to build the game while driving improvements to it.
You will also have a hand in the design and initial versions of gameplay and systems, from concept to prototype whilst working in collaboration with the design and the rest of engineering.
Who you are:
- You’re an engineer with an appreciation for design, who understands the needs of designers and can translate between engineering and design.
- You have strong fundamental programming skills and can build robust, highly scalable systems.
- You know how to interact and/or understand the different areas involved to complete a feature such as design, art, audio, and can communicate efficiently with them.
- You enjoy collaboration and mentoring colleagues; in fact you’d like to think people enjoy working with you.
- Treat our design team as your first customer, understand their needs and collaborate with them to build the systems they need to bring Hytale to life
- Develop extendable gameplay modules that can be used and customized by our technical designers and eventually our modders
- Think as an architect first and maintain a body of work that is well reasoned and maintainable over the long haul
- Break down complex design requests into actionable iterations
- Champion the creator and make sure that tools and systems are as easy to use as possible
- Elevate the team by challenging and discussing ideas, striving for high quality systems, and maintaining a focus on innovation
- 5 or more years of gameplay programming experience
- Experience with data-driven programming and Entity Component Systems
- Have shipped at least one game
- Experience developing games with a memory managed language
- Experience developing gameplay systems with a specific care for modability and usability, you have strong design/architecture skills, and you keep the end user in mind
- Experience implementing features for online multiplayer games
- A drive for craftsmanship in your software development
- Able to break down complex tasks into small actionable iterations.
- Comfortable expressing a design opinion constructively
- Proficient in both written and verbal communication with technical and non-technical individuals.
- Team-oriented, self-motivated, and autonomous.
- Passionate about games and gaming.
We can offer:
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team.
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally.
- A stable and secure work environment.
- The ability to work remotely.