We're looking for a Technical Director to join our team, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 15+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
At Hypixel Studios we are looking for applicants that are demonstrably passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
As Technical Director, you are tasked with empowering the engineering team. You mentor, guide, and appraise our engineers and technical leadership. You must develop a deep understanding of our vision and technology to effectively represent the studio. You assist the studio by building and maintaining external relationships serving our strategic needs. You structure and manage the tech organization as a whole.
Who you are:
- Your communication skills are second to none. You seek socialization and never shy away from conversations.
- Direct personality. You embrace giving / receiving feedback and criticism.
- You have the endurance to solve and fix problems no matter how complex and lengthy.
- Demonstrate technological knowledge when applicable and reasonable.
- You work to resolve misalignment with the product vision. You collaboratively work to get the right vision in place.
- You understand the unique challenges for sandbox games on multiple platforms.
- You know how to source information efficiently within the organisation.
- You have a desire to learn and educate continuously - you are at the forefront of the technology game.
- You have a hands-on approach in ambiguous start-up situations and strive to radiate clarity.
Some of your role:
- Source information for, or advise on, technical solutions for shipping to multiple platforms.
- You understand the technical vision developed by the team and will weigh in to make executive decisions on behalf of the studio’s technological needs.
- Mentoring team members with a view to development, release and subsequent support of an evolving, live product.
- You will double down on strong teammates and build the technical organization where needs drive requirement. You will do so whilst understanding business needs and complexities.
- Establish engineering standards throughout the tech organization as a whole.
- You will steer us through marketing and sales environments to effectively initiate, build and maintain relationships with external partners.
- You embrace the ethos and company values of Hypixel Studios.
- You drive the production of documentation and presentations to capture our challenges in a presentable format.
- Previous experience in a similar role.
- 5+ years of technical leadership experience in the video games industry
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering.
- Shipped title/s to multiple platforms including PC, Mobile and/or Console.
- You understand the challenges of global remote work and know how to excel within it.
- Familiarity with software, tools and middleware used in the games industry.
- Experience in the sandbox and block game genre.
- Experience communicating with 3rd party platform vendors.
- Experience developing low-level game engine systems.
- Experience developing backend microservices on bare metal and/or cloud.
- Experience with user-generated content / experiences.
We can offer:
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team.
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally.
- A stable and secure work environment.
- The ability to work remotely.