We are looking for a Systems Games Designer to join our team, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to veterans with 15+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
As a member of the game design team you will be responsible for balancing complex systems across our gameplay experiences. You will design and deliver systems in support of in-game economies, player marketplaces, progression, and rewards systems with an eye towards balance and positive player engagement.
At Hypixel Studios we are looking for diverse applicants that are passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
Who you are:
- You’re a designer who thrives while realizing the vision of the game through content and systems that continually surprises and delights the player
- You balance your unique perspective with a deep understanding of the motivations of our players and creators
- You are self-motivated, yet collaborative. A self-starter who can align with the team's goals but isn't hesitant to create solutions on their own
- Evaluate features in the context of a multiplayer environment, understanding the opportunities, risks, and concessions necessary to deliver exceptional multiplayer gameplay
- You are literate in game design fundamentals. You enjoy spinning up conversations about what makes a game fun while trying to understand how each component contributes to the whole
What you will have to do:
- Work closely with design leadership to create and balance compelling experiences, with a particular focus on connecting players across game modes and sessions
- Develop balanced systems that motivate players and reward positive behavior
- Collaborate with Tech, Art, Animation, and Audio to deliver world class multiplayer gameplay and reward systems
- Communicate your designs clearly to the team through design docs, user stories, wireframes, pictures of napkin sketches, etc.
- Develop a deep understanding of our diverse playerbase and their needs and desires
- Use research, data and player feedback to validate that your designs are meeting the project’s goals
- 2+ years of professional experience on multiplayer titles in a system design role
- Experience designing, modelling, and documenting player economies
- Proficiency with goal-oriented design processes - able to balance product goals with design decisions
- Strong collaboration skills. Ability to work with other designers, engineers, production, narrative and art to provide the best holistic solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Can communicate the details of complex design structures and partner with multidisciplinary team members to deliver those elements to players
- Worked on at least one live, AAA online competitive game
- Experience continuously releasing new content and features to live players
- Love of spreadsheets and the aesthetics of numbers
- Experience designing and balancing player marketplaces
- Familiarity with block style games
We’re looking for applicants who are self-driven, put players first, and that have a history of making cool stuff. In return, we can offer an environment that values and supports individual creativity and passion and believes in fostering new talent. We recognize the value of diversity in every sense and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.