We’re looking for a Senior Gameplay Software Engineer to join our team at Hypixel Studios, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 25+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
Join us on our mission to bring players together in an inviting, immersive world where they can make their mark. Hytale empowers creative expression across a spectrum of experiences including sandbox adventure, social play, minigames, and creativity using a suite of powerful and accessible tools.
As a Senior Gameplay Engineer you will be responsible for designing and building the gameplay systems that drive our content creation. You will support and be supported by a team of technical designers who take design and turn it into gameplay using our scripting and game editing tools. You will be the first customer of our game engine, using that engine itself to build the game whilst driving improvements to it.
Who you are:
- You have strong fundamental programming skills and can build robust, highly configurable, data-driven systems
- You are team-oriented, self-motivated, and autonomous
- You know and care how your code affects maintenance, performance, frame rate and memory usage
- You want to work closely with other disciplines, such as Art, Design, and Production
- You enjoy collaboration and mentoring other engineers
Some of your role:
- Design, prototype, implement, and maintain gameplay systems in high quality C++
- Collaborate directly with content creators to create or improve tools to empower them.
- Work closely with designers to understand their needs and bring Hytale to life
- Collaborate with the Game Engine team to expand and improve upon Engine’s capabilities
- Mentor other engineers to increase their capabilities and productivity.
- 6+ years of professional programming experience in C++, including 4+ years working in a game engine (commercial or proprietary)
- 2+ years experience implementing features for online multiplayer games
- Proficient at communicating with both technical and non-technical individuals
- Experience working directly with Designers, Tech Designers, and/or Gameplay Engineers to deliver gameplay experiences
- Solid understanding of online, networked, multiplayer games
- Experience working on voxel world games and/or survival games
- Experience developing and tuning melee and ranged combat systems
- Experience with AI systems
- Experience with scripting systems in a game engine (e.g., Lua, etc).
- Experience with Data-Oriented Development
We can offer:
- Competitive salary
- Annual Performance Bonus (APB)
- Quality of Life increases
- Christmas closure
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally
- A stable and secure work environment
- The ability to work remotely
We’re looking for applicants who are self-driven, put players first, and that have a history of making cool stuff. In return, we can offer an environment that values and supports individual creativity and passion and believes in fostering new talent. We recognize the value of diversity in every sense and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.