We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 25+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
At Hypixel Studios we are looking for applicants that are demonstrably passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
As a Gameplay Engineer you will be responsible for designing and building the gameplay systems that drive our content creation. You will support and be supported by a team of technical designers who take design and turn it into gameplay using our scripting and game editing tools. You will be the first customer of our game engine, using that engine itself to build the game whilst driving improvements to it.
You will also have a hand in the design and initial versions of gameplay and systems, from concept to prototype whilst working in collaboration with the design teams and the rest of engineering.
Who you are:
- You are deeply familiar with our genre, and you bring your understanding to your work
- You understand the needs of design and can explain those needs to other engineers working in the game engine
- You have strong fundamental programming skills and can build highly flexible systems.
- You care about the whole player experience, including audio, art, animation, and the finely-tuned, moment-to-moment look and feel of the game
- You enjoy collaboration and mentoring colleagues
Some of your role:
- Work closely with designers to understand their needs and bring Hytale to life
- Develop extendable gameplay modules that can be used and customized by our technical designers and eventually our modders
- Create guidelines to help Game Engine engineers build flexible, data-driven systems that support the needs of yourself and our Game Designers
- Break down complex design requests into actionable iterations
- Champion the creator and make sure that tools and systems are as easy to use as possible
- Elevate the team by challenging and discussing ideas, striving for high quality systems, and maintaining a focus on innovation
- 5+ years of professional programming experience
- 3+ years working in a game engine (commercial or proprietary)
- 1+ years experience in C/C++
- Proficient at communicating with both technical and non-technical individuals
- Experience with scripting systems in a game engine (e.g. Lua etc.)
- Deeply and/or broadly played in the block-, voxel-, and/or survival-game genres
- Experience developing and tuning melee and ranged combat systems
- Experience with networked, multiplayer gameplay
- Experience with Data-Oriented Development
- Experience with AI systems
We can offer:
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally
- A stable and secure work environment
- The ability to work remotely
We’re looking for applicants who are self-driven, put players first, and that have a history of making cool stuff. In return, we can offer an environment that values and supports individual creativity and passion and believes in fostering new talent. We recognize the value of diversity in every sense and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.