We are looking for a Senior Game AI Engineer to join our team, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to veterans with 15+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
At Hypixel Studios we are looking for applicants that are demonstrably passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
As a member of the AI team you will design, prototype, and implement the fundamental AI systems which underpins Hytale’s NPCs. Your main internal customers are Designers, Tech Designers, and Gameplay Engineers. You will enable them to build top notch experiences for our players and strive to anticipate design needs in order to propose extensible solutions that support their requirements. In turn, you will be the first customer of our game engine, building new systems atop its core capabilities as well as driving improvements to them.
Who you are:
- You have experience with and a passion for bringing game worlds to life using AI.
- You have strong fundamental programming skills and can build highly configurable, data-driven, scalable systems.
- You understand the needs of designers and can translate between engineering and design.
- You are team-oriented, self-motivated, and autonomous.
- You enjoy collaboration and mentoring other engineers.
Some of your role:
- Work closely with designers and transform their feature requests into flexible AI systems.
- Develop extensible AI modules and functionality that can be used and customized by our technical designers and eventually our modders.
- Architect, prototype, build, and maintain fundamental AI systems in high quality C++.
- Dive deep on complex, genre-specific AI problems to find highly performant and scalable solutions.
- Create detailed and highly-accessible documentation for both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- 5+ years of professional programming experience in C++.
- 3+ years working on AI in a game engine (commercial or proprietary).
- 1+ years experience implementing features for online multiplayer games.
- Highly knowledgeable about AI design patterns and algorithms.
- Highly proficient at debugging, profiling, and optimizing code.
- Familiar with game AI decision-making algorithms, particularly goal-oriented action planning.
- Experience implementing AI in ECS, or Data-Oriented Development.
- Experience extending scripting systems in a game engine (e.g., Lua, etc).
- Experience working on voxel world games and/or sandbox games.
- Experience working with physics engines.
We can offer:
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team.
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally.
- A stable and secure work environment.
- The ability to work remotely.
We’re looking for applicants who are self-driven, put players first, and that have a history of making cool stuff. In return, we can offer an environment that values and supports individual creativity and passion and believes in fostering new talent. We recognize the value of diversity in every sense and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.