We're looking for a Senior Game Designer to join our team at Hypixel Studios, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 25+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
Join us on our mission to bring players together in an inviting, immersive world where they can make their mark. Hytale empowers creative expression across a spectrum of experiences including sandbox adventure, social play, minigames, and creativity using a suite of powerful and accessible tools.
As a Senior Game Designer, you will work closely with Design, Art, and Engineering to create, prototype, and implement designs that delight members of our diverse player base, as they adventure through the world of Hytale. In your role, you will be willing to tackle complex problems, be responsible for delivering thoughtful and compelling design solutions, and be comfortable seeing these initiatives through to completion.
Who you are:
- You are self-starter that works with minimal supervision, who can draw upon your industry experience and game knowledge to craft compelling, player-focused game features that truly stand the test of time
- You balance your unique perspective with a deep understanding of the motivations of our players and creators
- You are versed in game design fundamentals and feel comfortable as a mentor, but you also have the ability to listen and to learn
- You are passionate about what you do and can inspire others to excel
Some of your role:
- Develop a clear understanding of our player base and take responsibility for ensuring that our Creators have the best User-Generated Content tools at their disposal to create their imagined worlds
- Champion our Creators’ needs, understand how your game design impacts their experience, gain insights to balance and improve features, and own that iteration process from conception to post-release
- Generate design solutions with clear articulation of pros and cons, clearly communicating the chosen direction to the team through design docs, user stories, wireframes, pictures of napkin sketches, etc.
- Utilize a player-centric approach, understanding how Creators will approach and/or master the creation process; prototype, playtest, validate, and iterate
- Work across disciplines to see your designs through to completion, while being an evangelist for the game
- 5+ years of experience in professional game design on sandbox, life simulation, and/or creative building titles
- Willingness to be responsible for a large suite of interrelated systems and content that touch upon many parts of the product; ability to conceive of, estimate, delegate, and implement a broad range of Creative Play design efforts
- Ability to balance product goals with design decisions, as you will be at the vanguard with respect to design work on the aforementioned areas
- Experience mentoring other designers, utilizing strong collaboration skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- A passion for, and/or experience with, developing User-Generated Content
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA online game
- Experience iterating on, balancing, and releasing new content and features to a live product
- Experience working on content roadmaps
- You understand what motivates players and how to best use that knowledge
We can offer:
- Competitive salary
- Annual Performance Bonus (APB)
- Quality of Life increases
- Christmas closure
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally
- A stable and secure work environment
- The ability to work remotely
We’re looking for applicants who are self-driven, put players first, and that have a history of making cool stuff. In return, we can offer an environment that values and supports individual creativity and passion and believes in fostering new talent. We recognize the value of diversity in every sense and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.