We're looking for a Senior Game Designer to join our team at Hypixel Studios, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 25+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
Join us on our mission to bring players together in an inviting, immersive world where they can make their mark. Hytale empowers creative expression across a spectrum of experiences including sandbox adventure, social play, minigames, and creativity using a suite of powerful and accessible tools.
As a Senior Game Designer you will work closely with Design, Art, and Engineering to create, prototype, and implement designs that delight members of our diverse playerbase, as they adventure through the world of Hytale. In your role, you will be willing to tackle complex problems, be responsible for delivering thoughtful and compelling design solutions, and be comfortable seeing these initiatives through to completion.
Who you are:
- You are self-starter that works with minimal supervision, who can draw upon your industry experience and game knowledge to craft compelling, player-focused game features that truly stand the test of time
- You love the adventure game genre and empathize with the range of player motivations that drive players to play these games
- You are versed in game design fundamentals and feel comfortable as a mentor, but you also have the ability to listen and to learn
Some of your role:
- Champion our players’ needs, understand how your game design impacts their experience, gain insights to balance and improve features, and own that iteration process from conception to post-release
- Generate design solutions with clear articulation of pros and cons, clearly communicating the chosen direction to the team through design docs, user stories, wireframes, pictures of napkin sketches, etc.
- Utilize prototyping and playtesting to validate and balance solutions
- Work across disciplines to see your designs through to completion, while being an evangelist for the game
- 5+ years of experience in professional game design on RPG, survival or adventure titles, or a general focus on multiplayer games
- Ability to balance product goals with design decisions
- Ability to plan and estimate design efforts, followed by the creation of clear and concise design documents and specifications that can be evaluated and implemented by cross-discipline teams
- Ability to communicate, delegate, and motivate, and collaborate; to be an internal advocate for the craft of design, the game and the team
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA online game
- Experience planning for, iterating on, balancing, and releasing new content and features to a live product, across multiple platforms
- A familiarity and passion for open-world, builder, and survival games
We can offer:
- Competitive salary
- Annual Performance Bonus (APB)
- Quality of Life increases
- Christmas closure
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally
- A stable and secure work environment
- The ability to work remotely
We’re looking for applicants who are self-driven, put players first, and that have a history of making cool stuff. In return, we can offer an environment that values and supports individual creativity and passion and believes in fostering new talent. We recognize the value of diversity in every sense and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.